Home > Latest News > Latest News > Food >

Scores suffer suspected food poisoning after visiting bakery in Sydney’s south

January 28, 2016
Latest News

7114974-3x2-340x227More than a dozen people have been hospitalised after an apparent outbreak of food poisoning connected with a bakery in Sydney’s south.

New South Wales Health said 40 people had gone to hospital since Saturday after consuming food believed to be from the Box Village Bakery, which is located in a shopping strip on the corner of Box Road and Corea Street, Sylvania.

Thirteen of those people were admitted to hospital for further treatment.

The NSW Food Authority said it was believed the people had salmonella poisoning and it was investigating the matter.

Mark Ferson, director of public health at the South Eastern Sydney Local Health District, said people had come to Sutherland Hospital with gastroenteritis after a number of them ate at the bakery.

He said the NSW Food Authority was inspecting the business.

“They’ve visited the premises and closed it down, so there’s no further risk,” Dr Ferson said.

“We’re in touch with people that we think have the illness and we’re asking them about their symptoms and where they’ve eaten and what they’ve eaten – so that’s an ongoing investigation that’ll take the next few days.”

Ross Paull said his wife and 13-year-old daughter became “very sick” on Sunday night after eating a chicken schnitzel roll from the bakery on Saturday.

He said the pair was only now starting to recover, two days later.

“We couldn’t pinpoint what it was at the time – vomiting, diarrhoea, sweats, headaches, stomach cramps,” he said.

“Then my wife realised the chicken she ate from this shop wasn’t cooked properly, she gave my daughter a bite only.”

Today he left a note for the owner at the bakery holding them accountable.

“I just wanted to teach these people a lesson,” he said.

“I think council or food people should be checking this place out … hopefully it might cop a big fine.

“My family was very close to going into hospital, so we’re never coming back.”

‘About half an hour later I started vomiting’

Another customer, Mark Chandler, said he fell ill after eating a pork roll on Friday and presented at hospital on Sunday.

“About half an hour later I started vomiting and for the last four or five days I’ve been really crook,” he said.

“Headaches, stomach cramps, headache, fever, diarrhoea. It’s been pretty bad.”

Mr Chandler said he had eaten at the bakery for 15 years and was surprised about the apparent outbreak.

“The food’s been good here for 15 years and we’ve never really heard of anyone getting sick, so it was a shock for me and for a lot of my mates as well,” he said.

“It sounds like one little mishap, so hopefully they [the owners] can recover from it.”

Symptoms of salmonella poisoning include diarrhoea, fever and abdominal cramps.

They can develop 12 to 72 hours after infection and the illness usually lasts four to seven days.

Most people recover without treatment, but the diarrhoea and dehydration it causes may be so severe that it becomes necessary to go to the hospital.

A woman who spoke to Macquarie Radio in Sydney said her two sons, aged 19 and 17, fell sick after eating chicken rolls from a bakery, which has since been closed.

“The only reason we didn’t take [them] to hospital was because they couldn’t get out of the bathroom long enough to travel anywhere,” she said.

“They were very, very sick.”

Published by: ABC News 26/01/2016