Home > Latest News > Latest News > Food >

Coroner calls for mandatory allergy reporting after coconut drink kills boy

July 11, 2016
Latest News

CoconutA Victorian coroner has urged the state government to introduce strict new anaphylaxis policies after the tragic death of a 10-year-old Melbourne boy.

Ronak Warty died in 2013 after drinking a wrongly labelled coconut drink, which said it was “natural” and did not contain dairy. But it did. The boy was allergic to dairy products and died a week later.

Now coroner Audrey Jamieson has come out swinging with a suite of strong recommendations to Victorian Health Minister Jill Hennessy and the state’s Department of Health and Human Services. They include making it mandatory for doctors to report all cases of children in hospitals or emergency clinics with anaphylaxis, or acute allergy.

Click here for full article

Published by: The Sydney Morning Herald, 10/7/2016